[Winpcap-users] newbie winpcap questions on forwarding

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie at outstep.com
Thu Sep 4 13:10:36 GMT 2008

Greetings All,

I am working on a project which is using coLinux (which has winpcap).

After an exhaustive search on various network interface methods, I have come
to think that winpcap may be the solution to what I am trying to do, but
would like to ask the list about my idea on using winpcap.

I will have a Windows host which will be running coLinux with a small Linux
distro in ram. The distro only serves the purpose of handling open mosix and
no other networking services so it will not see the network in any other
way.

What this means is that I will only have a few ports that are handled by
coLinux and these ports are generally not handeled by the Windows host.

# Local openMosix
#
om-mfs          723/tcp         # openMosix FileSystem port
om-disc         1334/udp        # openMosix autodiscovery protocol
om-mig          4660/tcp        # openMosix Migration Daemon port
om-info         5428/udp        # openMosix Info Daemon port

What I would like to do is to only have the Windows host network (since
these machines are already having static IP's and can see each other across
the LAN) and to have winpcap capture the packets that are coming in for the
open mosix and send them over to coLinux for processing after which coLinux
sends the packets back out the windows host network interface.

What I am trying to figure out is how this can be set up using winpcap.

Thanks in advance,
Lonnie