[Winpcap-users] is winpcap appropriate for mygigabitethernetdevice?

max reason maxreason at maxreason.com
Fri Sep 5 08:25:10 GMT 2008

 I was almost certain one SATAII disk wouldn't keep up, and almost
 certain two disks would work with just enough margin to be reliable.
 However, you are the second person to mention RAID - I don't understand.
 As long as the computer has two disk controllers (which many do),
 I assumed my application could alternately write to the two drives
 and expect everything to work.  Or is there something special about
 one or more of the RAID modes that I don't know about?

 Is your suggestion to "disable file system caching" while dumping
 to disk related to the CPU cache concerns I expressed in my reply
 to Zafer Savas?  Or do you refer to the memory cache on the disk?

 In those applications where the speed of the computer system and
 peripherals are pushed to the limit, my $250 ~ $500 device replaces
 $12,000 ~ $38,000 alternatives!  Therefore, it is entirely reasonable
 to *require* the computer is doing nothing else (of significance)
 during high-speed image capture/display/save.  This also means it
 is perfectly okay to put the computer into special configurations
 while the capture process is active.  So, it is perfectly okay to
 lock any quantity of memory that doesn't interfere with the OS or
 peripheral controllers doing their jobs.  Therefore, the kind of
 tips you give are relevant and very appreciated.

 Thanks much.  And yes, your and Zafer have made my day nice indeed!
 Well, and winpcap of course!  :-)

 Max