[Winpcap-users] pcap_findalldevs returns empty list on Vista

John Bruder johnb at sisconet.com
Tue Sep 30 18:29:35 GMT 2008

My application runs fine with Winpcap 4.0.2 on Windows 2000 and XP, but
fails on Vista because "pcap_findalldevs" returns an empty list.

However, if I install Wireshark on Vista, and check the box to have it
"start the Winpcap NPF service", the "pcap_findalldevs" function in my
application works. If I reinstall Wireshark and do NOT check the box to
"start the Winpcap NPF service", pcap_findalldevs fails again.

I do not want to require Wireshark to use my application, but the
Winpcap documentation does not explain how to "start the Winpcap NPF
service".

--
John Bruder
SISCO, Inc.