[Winpcap-users] Non-admistrator use of WinPcap

Janne Heikkinen janne.m.heikkinen at helsinki.fi
Thu Apr 16 05:59:29 PDT 2009

 From the FAQ:

> Q-7: Do I need to be Administrator in order to execute programs
> based on   WinPcap on Windows NT/2000/XP?

> A: Yes/no. The security model of WinPcap is quite poor, and we plan
> to work on it in the future. At the moment, if you execute a
> WinPcap-based application for the first time since the last reboot,
> you must be administrator. At the first execution, the driver will
> be dynamically installed in the system, and from that moment every
> user will be able to use WinPcap to sniff the packets.

I found that it is possible to change loading of the driver from "Demand"
to "System" using Device Manager. This way driver gets loaded automatically
after reboot and non-administrator user can use WinPcap.

To make the change first "View->Show hidden devices" must be selected in
Device Manager and then NPF can be found under "Non-Plug and Play Drivers".
I tested this on XP and Vista.

Is it possible to make installer that would make this setting automatically?

- Janne