[Winpcap-users] Installing WinPCap on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Aug 19 09:28:32 PDT 2009

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Sleat, Ben
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2009 3:42 AM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] Installing WinPCap on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64

  Hi

  I'm currently trying to install WinPCap on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 and I see from the downloads page that WinPcap 4.1 beta5 claims to support "Windows Server 2008 (x86 and x64)", however when I actually run the installer I get a message saying:

  "This version of Windows is not supported by WinPCap 4.1. The installation will be aborted"

  I've searched the mailing lists, the manual, the FAQ etc and can't find any other info.

  Has anyone successfully managed to install 4.1 Beta 5 on Windows Server 2008? How about on R2?

Windows Server 2008 and R2 are two totally different OSes. 2008 is basically the server version of Vista. 2008 R2 is the server version of Windows 7.
At the moment Win7/2008R2 are not officially supported. However you can force the installation by running the installer in compatibility mode for Vista (or 2008).

  I don't think R2 has any significant changes over the standard Windows Server 2008 that are likely to cause problems for WinPCap, although I could be wrong.

It's actually two different versions of the OS, with a similar name, as I said before.

  So is there a way to force the installation (Or to manually install WinPCap without using the installer) anyway?

Run the installer in compatibility mode for Vista or 2008.

  Thanks for your help

  Kind Regards
  Ben

This email is from Verint Systems UK Ltd and is confidential.
If you have received it in error, please advise us and then delete the original and any attachments it may have contained.
Verint Systems UK Ltd does not accept any responsibility for viruses.
Verint Systems UK Ltd is a limited company registered in England and Wales at 241 Brooklands Road, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 0RH ,registration number 2602824.
VAT registration number GB566153238.