[Winpcap-users] winpcap performance

Charu Agrawal cagrawal at altasens.com
Thu Jan 15 01:40:28 GMT 2009

Hi,

I am trying to get the best performance out of winpcap library.

We are capturing huge frames(each frame is 30 MB) over the Ethernet
interface using winpcap library.

I need to apply filtering to capture only relevant frames. I use the
following filter.

"src  192.168.x.x"

I am using a 1Gig dedicated Ethernet interface for the packet capture. 1
frame comprises of nearly 22,330 packets ( for the 30MB frame).

I am able to capture 1 frame in nearly 20s. If I remove the filtering
time improves to 5s. But I need to use the filtering to get only
specific packets.

Is there an alternate way to do this ? is there some way I can improve
the performance ?

I greatly appreciate your help

Thanks

Charu Agrawal