[Winpcap-users] capture fails on vista

Tom Brown brown at esteem.com
Tue Jan 27 18:35:55 GMT 2009

Hey all,

WinPcap 4.0.2, Vista Home Premium.

I have two applications that use winpcap. I run them on my Vista laptop
and they capture fine. I am NOT running the NPF service. I can't find
that it is even installed.

I have a user who is also running Vista Home Premium. They are an
administrator on their machine. When they run my two applications, the
capture does not work. However, when they right click the icon and
select "run as administrator", it works.

Why would it work on my machine and not theirs?

I searched the list and google. I keep running into the "start the NPF
service" answer. Its not on my machine, so I must not need it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tom