[Winpcap-users] Large number of duplicate messages

Jack Jackson jack at pebbleridge.com
Thu Jul 23 14:20:29 PDT 2009

I just installed WinPcap 4.1 beta 5 on a Win 2008 Server 64-bit virtual
machine (running on VMWare Server 2).

Wireshark (1.2.1) shows a large number of duplicate copies of many (but not
all) messages.  For example, if I ping the virtual machine from another
machine, I see about 126 ping requests and replies for each ping request
sent.  ARP messages do not appear to be duplicated, but most others are
(all TCP as far as I can tell, but few if any UDP).  Dumpcap shows the same
number of messages as Wireshark.

If I install WinPcap 4.1 beta 5 on the host Win 2008 64-bit machine and do
the same ping as above, I see much fewer duplicates, 2-3.

Any idea what is happening?  Is this some artifact of the VMWare network
drivers?