[Winpcap-users] How to find out the current locallyinstalled version of WinPCap?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Mar 2 09:39:29 PST 2009

Either call PacketGetVersion/PacketGetDriverVersion or check for the version
of packet.dll and npf.sys.

Please note that

- these two APIs usually return the same version because we *usually* ship
driver and packet.dll with the same exact version. I've seen cases of
screwed up installations where the two versions were not matching.
- due to a bug in packet.dll, at the moment PacketGetDriverVersion will
report an empty string when called from a 32bit process on a 64bit operating
system.

You can also use
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\WinPcapInst for
recent versions of WinPcap.