[Winpcap-users] Packet lost at 480Mbps

jli jli at altobeam.com
Sun Mar 15 20:53:02 PDT 2009

Hi guys:
 Last mail has some format problems,and  i'm sorry for that .

 I use wireshark to capture data at 480Mbps and found packets lost when
wireshark indicate that "Drop" is zero and "Receive but no buffer" is not
zero. So I learned the sourcecode of wireshark and winpcap, found that
"Receive but no buffer" in wireshark come from PacketRequest() in
packet32.dll using DeviceIoControl() and the function code is
"OID_GEN_RCV_NO_BUFFER", which MSDN explains as follows:

As a query, the OID_GEN_RCV_NO_BUFFER OID specifies the number of frames
that the NIC cannot receive due to lack of NIC receive buffer space. Some
NICs do not provide the exact number of missed frames; they provide only the
number of times at least one frame is missed.

Is that means my NIC hardware buffer is too small?
Can i improve reading speed by recompiling npf.sys to fix this problem?
If i use packet.lib, what should i do to make read operation more fast
besides decrease value of mintocopy ?

Here are some information of my laptop: WinXp sp3, NDIS5.1, dual CPU at
2GHz, 2G memory, Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) PCI-E Gagibit Ethernet NIC