[Winpcap-users] What's the upper limit of buffer size?

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Mar 23 08:59:12 PDT 2009

The upper limit depends on a number of factors. In any case the maximum amount of memory available in kernel mode is in the order of 200MB for a 32bit version of Windows, and 128GB on a 64bit one.

Why do you want to increase the kernel buffer size? As Guy Harris already pointed out on Wireshark-users, increasing the buffer size is a temporary solution: if you are losing packets because your application is too slow (or your disk is too slow), you will keep losing packets.