[Winpcap-users] pcap_open_offline and unicode charsets

Mark Bednarczyk voytechs at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 7 17:23:22 PST 2009

What support is there, for unicode character based file names in WinPcap to
functions such as pcap_open_offline?

 I have users that are trying to open a file with some chineese characters
in its filename. As far as I understand it, fopen under unix (especially
under linux) should handle unicode 8-bit with no problems. Linux also
handles wider widths but only in a non-intentional way where wider width
chars are handled as 8-bit entities (ie. 0x1065 is handled as 2 separate
8-bit chars: 0x65 and 0x10 where order is dependent on processor
endianness.)  Under MSFC is different and you have to use MS specific wfopen
and wopen calls which take unicode (or wide chars).

Does WinPcap provide any support for unicode and call the appropriate "open"
function?

My library gets its filename from a java string and it currently converts it
to plain UTF-8 charset and that works fine. But in reality I'd like to
support all unicode widths 8, 16 and even 32 bit. I'm not sure how those
wider unicode chars would be handled.

Link to discussion on this topic in our forums:
http://jnetpcap.com/node/456

Cheers,
mark....
http://jnetpcap.com

"It is impossible to grasp the meaning of the idea of sound money if one
does not realize that it was devised as an instrument for the protection of
civil liberties against despotic inroads on the part of governments.
Ideologically it belongs in the same class with political constitutions and
bills of rights."  Ludwig von Mises