[Winpcap-users] pcap_open_offline and unicode charsets

Mark Bednarczyk voytechs at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 11 07:19:19 PST 2009

Thanks for your deep insight into the issue.

> he's using Windows (as per the reference to MinGW and
> jnetpcap.dll), so his problem may ultimately be caused by the
> lack of pcap_wopen_offline().

I agree.

Java's native code interface (JNI) provides support for converting the java
strings to unicode or UTF-8:
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jni/spec/functions.html#s
tring_operations

So when the support for this comes from libpcap/winpcap I will be ready.

I can experiment some more with windows wide char to java string conversion
in my getHardwareAddress function for an interface:

		/*
		 * Name is in wide character format. So convert to plain
UTF8.
		 */
		int size=WideCharToMultiByte(0, 0, map->Name, -1, NULL, 0,
NULL, NULL);
		char utf8[size + 1];
		WideCharToMultiByte(0, 0, map->Name, -1, utf8, size, NULL,
NULL);

(Source starts on line 567:
http://jnetpcap.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jnetpcap/jnetpcap/trunk/src/c/jne
tpcap_utils.cpp?view=markup)

Now that I think about I should be able to convert directly to java string
from window's wide-char string without the extra step of going through UTF-8
as median between the 2.

Cheers,
mark...