[Winpcap-users] Capturing 802.1Q tagged frames on Vista/x64 with Intel NIC

kazuhiro KAMIMURA vkkrjnf at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 19:15:33 PDT 2009

Hi, everyone.

I have trouble in capturing 802.1Q tagged frames on Window Vista (x64) platform.

I am using Intel PRO/1000 NIC, so I have made registry setting for the
NIC noted in WireShark's support page [1] & Intel's support page [2].
[1] http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/VLAN
[2] http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/CS-005897.htm
But, 802.1Q tagged frames are captured as tag-stripped frames as
before modifying the registry.

Using Windows XP (x86) on the same machine with the above setting, I
have confirmed 802.1Q frames can be captured as it is with their tag.
So I guess the trouble is peculiar to Vista/x64 platform.

Is there anyone who meets the same problem, or who succeed in
capturing 802.1Q frames as it is on Vista/x64?
Do I need more special setting on Vista platform?

I'll appreciate any suggestions regarding this problem.
Thanks in advance.

OS: Windows Vista Enterprise SP2 (x64)
NIC: Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter with driver Ver.8.3.15.0
WinPcap Ver.: 4.1 beta 5

-----
KAMIMURA Kazuhiro
vkkrjnf at gmail.com