[Winpcap-users] winpcap-app looses packets on full duplex GigabitEthernet connection

Tim Dylla t.dylla at stagetec.com
Thu Sep 10 02:11:34 PDT 2009

Gianluca Varenni schrieb:
> Wireshark definitely is not the right tool for a full gigabit link: it
> always dumps the packets to disk, and a standard disk cannot keep up at that
> speed.

I used Wireshark just to compare its capturing capabilities with those
of my app. In this case I limited the captured size per packet to 68
Bytes instead of the full 1514.
> What are you doing with the packets in your application?

In the target app, the packets will get processed in time (for example
routing to other non-ethernet hosts).
These problems are not a kind of a showstopper, as of reliability
reasons I have to implement a simple ACK-scheme anyway.