[Winpcap-users] winpcap nuked my interfaces ?

Carlos G Mendioroz tron at huapi.ba.ar
Wed Dec 1 04:09:43 PST 2010

Hi,
I've run into a strange issue: soon after loading a program
that uses pcap, the three interfaces I was trying to attach to
reported "cable disconnected".

I thought it was a parameters issue, but I've found that whatever went
wrong, it has been made persistent at the hardware level! :(

I.e. the interfaces htat I was trying to use do not get link up now
even as the machine is doint POST. I've 1 atheros gigabit if, and 4
intel pro/100 ifs. The other 2 intel ports run fine.

So question: what can possibly a program do using pcap that can force
an interface to stay link down (i.e. no carrier) that is saved to the
firmware ?

If it matters, the client is qemu 0.11.0 with juniper patch, which adds
pcap support.

Any pointer is more than welcome!
Thanks in advance,
--