[Winpcap-users] NPF Interface Problem - Atheros Promiscuous Mode

russ421 at aol.com russ421 at aol.com
Sat Feb 20 15:29:34 PST 2010

 I recently installed Win 7 on a new laptop and am having trouble running Wireshark in promiscuous mode using WinPCap.  The NIC is Atheros AR9285 which I thought was supported.  Originally I was using the default Microsoft drivers for the card after installing windows 7.  I installed Wireshark / WinPCap but could not capture in promiscuous mode.  I then installed the Atheros drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled Wireshark / WinPCap but still no luck.  Now when I start Wireshark in promiscuous mode to capture, it says "The capture session could not be initialed.  Failed to set device to promiscuous mode.  Please check that the device /device/npf_{...} is the proper interface".

Does anyone know what the problem might be?  does it have to do with the fact I had installed wireshark / winpcap before installing the Atheros drivers?  Is the Atheros AR9285 not supported in WinPCap 4.1.1?  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I've tried uninstalling / reinstalling winpcap and wireshark.  I've restarted computer several times.  Tried running 'net stop npf' 'net start npf' as administrator, etc. but no luck yet.

=