[Winpcap-users] NPF Interface Problem - Atheros Promiscuous Mode

j.snelders j.snelders at telfort.nl
Sun Feb 21 10:13:10 PST 2010

Well switch to Linux
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/WLAN#head-bb8373ef4903fe9da2b8375331726541fb1ad32d
<snip>
Cards with Atheros Communications chipsets
See the Atheros customer products page to find products that use Atheros
chipsets.
You can capture raw 802.11 packets with AR5K cards on Linux systems with
the v5_ar5k or madwifi drivers. For the v5ar5k driver you will need the Linux
wireless-tools version 25 or higher to put the card into monitor mode. If
you're using the madwifi driver, you can put the card into monitor mode using
iwconfig interface mode monitor, followed by iwconfig interface channel channel
to select a channel (if needed). THis works only on the old version of the
madwifi driver. If you are using the new version, also known as madwifi-ng,
you must create a monitor vap with the command wlanconfig ath create wlandev
wifiX wlanmode mon. For further information read the madwifi documentation,
included with versions 0.9.0 and up.
<snip>

or

buy an AirPcap adapter*.
http://www.cacetech.com/products/airpcap.html
http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-16
<snip>
For real wireless capture, CACE Technologies offers the AirPcap adapter,
specifically designed to sniff 802.11 traffic, including control frames,
management frames and power information. AirPcap at this time is the only
solution for capturing raw 802.11 traffic with WinPcap. More details can
be found on the  AirPcap product page.
<snip>

*Last year I got one for free, when I visited Sharkfest:
http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.09/
The next Sharkfest is in June:
http://www.cacetech.com/sharkfest.10/

Best regards