[Winpcap-users] Risk related to using winPcap in place of WinSock socket

Bilal Shahid bil.shah at gmail.com
Thu Jul 8 07:01:23 PDT 2010

What I have read so far, winPcap allows you to bypass OS and bypass
application and transport layer processing for TCP and provides direct
access to the link layer.

I am planning to use winpcap for some critical information transfer and not
just sniffing in order to reduce latency. I am currently doing it via
sockets.

Does bypassing OS, and according to my understanding application and
transport layers on my side, involve any risks?

Is it normally recommended to use winpcap for critical application
information transfer or it is generally recommended for packet sniffing etc.