[Winpcap-users] Sample compile failure using MS VC 6

mail mail at ainley.org
Thu Jul 29 10:08:34 PDT 2010

I am completely new to Winpcap but would love to try out some of its
capabilities.

I have tried compiling the basic_dump.c sample provided but it fails
with multiple errors.  The first error is in pcap-stdinc.h, line 79 (in
bold italic below)

/* MSVC compiler */
#ifndef _UINTPTR_T_DEFINED
#ifdef  _WIN64
typedef unsigned __int64    uintptr_t;
#else/
*typedef _W64 unsigned int   uintptr_t;*/
#endif
#define _UINTPTR_T_DEFINED
#endif

the error reported was "C2054: expected '(' to follow '_W64'.

I am using Microsoft Visual C++ Version 6 with service pack 5 installed
under XP SP 3.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.