[Winpcap-users] pcap_open_offline() vs pcap_fopen_offline()

Selçuk Cevher cevhers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 05:10:59 PST 2010

Hi All,

In my previous post, I reported a crash caused by pcap_next_ex().

Even though I haven't fully confirmed that yet, I suspect that the first
argument passed to pcap_next_ex() (i.e. pcap_t *p) might be NULL.

Based on my readings so far, pcap_next_ex() does not return any error value
or throws an exception when its first argument is NULL (Still, I need your
confirmation).

My question is: What happens if I call pcap_open_offline() sequentially for
a certain number of times greater than the OS limit on simultaneously open
file handles ?
(I think that it will simply return NULL)

To realize such a scenario, pcap_fopen_offline() should be used instead, I
think.

Am I correct ?

Thanks.