[Winpcap-users] pcap_next_ex() crashes

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Fri Mar 5 11:48:38 PST 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 4:49 AM, Selçuk Cevher wrote:

> I wrote a small program which calls pcap_next_ex() function to read packets while processing a bunch of PCAP files (offline mode) "sequentially" - one after another.

So you're opening a file with pcap_open_offline(), processing its packets, closing the file with pcap_close(), opening the next file with pcap_open_offline(), processing *its* packets, closing the file with pcap_close(), etc.?

> However, pcap_next_ex() generates a segmentation fault (I observed this using GNU gdb).

Can you show us the stack trace?

> I use Ubuntu 9.10 (64-bit) which installs libpcap v1.0.0-2ubuntu1 by default.

...so this is probably not the best list for this - WinPcap is the port of libpcap to Windows.

tcpdump-workers at tcpdump.org is the right list for libpcap questions (and even WinPcap questions can go there if they're not asking about WinPcap-specific features).