[Winpcap-users] Deadlock on pcap_open_live() ?

Dupuit Cyril cyrildupuit at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 30 14:28:41 PDT 2010

Hello,

I am developping an application that uses multiple threaded
environnement on Windows XP.

One of these threads opens a network interface to count the number of
packets per second and compute statistics.

This architecture works fine for a real network interface (ie realteck,
3 com, ...) but fails with the first interface (Adapter for generic
dialup and VPN capture).

I have made a little change on my code to use the same thread than my
application.
The result is good. My application works without deadlok.

If I resume :
- Multithreaded :
     main thread                            Statistic thread
            -> Do something...                      -> pcap_open_live()
on the first interface (Adapter for generic dialup and VPN capture)

  => Result is a deadlock in the pcap_open_live() function. The function
is blocked.

- Single threaded :
    main thread
         -> pcap_open_live() on the first interface.
  => Result is an handle on the file openned (no deadlock detected).

I have tried this solution only on WinPcap 4.1.1. I don't know if this
problem appears in another version of WinPcap.

Can you help me ?

Thank you in adavance,

Cyril