[Winpcap-users] Using Ethernet Connection Instead of Dial-Up

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon May 17 10:16:47 PDT 2010

From: <ceo at triplebit.com>
Sent: Saturday, May 15, 2010 1:24 AM
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Subject: [Winpcap-users] Using Ethernet Connection Instead of Dial-Up

> I work with most recent Windows operating systems like XP,Vista and
> Windows
> 7.
> I encounter problems to open a dial-up connection in a background thread.
> also need to filter and transmit via WinPcap to other nodes across the
> Internet, which is also limited or unsupported.
> My question-
> Can I use the ethernet connection that supports the dial-up connection
> instead of using directly the dial-up itself?

Do you mean something like a DSL modem connected to your computer via
ethernet?
If so, you can definitely capture the packets there, but the packets are not
encapsulated in the "classic" ethernet->IP->tcp/udp fashion. It's usually
something like ethernet->PPPoE->PPP->IP (or something similar to this that I
cannot remember now) so you might need to modify your dissection code
accordingly.