[Winpcap-users] Vlan tagged traffic not capture on 64 bitWindows

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Oct 12 10:21:24 PDT 2010

On Oct 12, 2010, at 12:59 AM, Pushkar Tiwari wrote:

> On Windows 2k3 (32 bit) device name is shown as Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Network Connection, while on Windows 2k8(64 bit) device name is shown as Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter.

When I did a Google search for

	Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter capturing vlan traffic

it found

	http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-005897.htm

which says:

	Symptom(s):
	My sniffer is not seeing VLAN or QoS tagged frames.

	Solution:

	Microsoft Windows* ---

	To allow tagged frames to be passed to your packet capture software you must go into the registry and either add a registry dword and value or change the value of the registry key. Depending on the bus type of your network adapter you will either create the keyword "MonitorModeEnabled" for PCI/PCI-X Network Adapters, or "MonitorMode" for PCI-e based Network Adapters.

See that page for more details.