[Winpcap-users] timestamping and huge latency

Helmut Vaupotitsch hv at itec-audio.com
Tue Sep 14 09:18:20 PDT 2010

Hi Gianluca and all others,

I am facing a major latency problem on *long lasting* capture sessions
which maybe
has to do with timestamping by the driver, every hint to solve it is
appreciated:

We developed a proprietary protocol to configure, manage and monitor
our self-developed hardware, the config software uses WinPCap to capture
and send raw packets.

Everything is working fine, but after some days of continuous capturing
i face:
- On some machines, the latency between sending requests and receiving
the answer
  increases to some seconds (can be up to >30 secs after capturing for a
week!)
Closing and re-opening the driver would solve the problem, but i
definitely need to capture
for months and longer without interrupt!

I know that the driver timestamp is drifting apart from the System
Time(which can be
synchronized by e.g. a NTP server), therefore i timestamp the frames my
myself(which
is also important if a use timeouts)

*My question is:
What could be the reason(s) for huge latency on long lasting captures?
*I know that the latency increases on receiving packets
Currently i don´t know if sending´s latency also increases
Maybe it has something to do with the GetSystemTimeAdjustment setting?

Thanks for reading

Best regards from Austria
Helmut

Gianluca Varenni schrieb:
> The return value of QuerySystemTime and QueryPerformanceCounter is
> synchronized at the beginning of the capture (to compute the offset between
> epoch time and QueryPerformanceCounter), and then the counter and frequency
> returned by QPC are used to compute the number of seconds (and microseconds)
> and added to the offset.
>
> The timestamping code is available in the source code of WinPcap,
> winpcap\packetntx\driver\time_calls.h
>
> Have a nice day
> GV

Ing. Helmut Vaupotitsch        Phone:  +43 (0)3133 3780 16
ITEC Tontechnik und            Fax:    +43 (0)3133 3780 9
Industrieelektronik GmbH       E-mail: hv at itec-audio.com
A-8200 Lassnitzthal 300        URL:    http://www.itec-audio.com