[Winpcap-users] About the packets loss , what is the bottleneck ?

yulou liu lyulou at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 00:50:05 PDT 2010

There is still the question about packets loss.

According to the essay  ' Profiling and Optimization of Software-Based
Network-Analysis Applications' ,    every packet is copied twice in the main
memory before reaching the user.  In order to reduce the cost of CPU and the
bus occupying of the SDRAM of pc,   is it possible to copy data directly
from the kernel buffer to the final buffer ,  which I want the date kept  in
?

Here is another idea ---  allocate several different user buffers , once a user
buffer is fulled , then let the next user buffer to save the new datas from
kernel buffer.  Meanwhile copy datas from the first user buffer to disk
(assume that the hard disk write rate is fast enough).  Is this idea work
with the winpcap ?

Thank you!

Q1: tough question to answer, as it depends on a number of factors. What is
the average packet size? Are you just counting the packets, or dumping them
to disk/DB/...? Do you see packet drops in the pcap_stats?
Q2: I will need to run some tests on this. Do you have some minimal sample
code that shows the issue?
Q3: Yes, *if* the NIC (and NIC driver) are not dropping packets themselves.

Did you disable any protocol bound to the NIC where you receive all these
packets?