[Winpcap-users] WinPCAP packets capture delay..

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Sep 21 18:11:26 PDT 2010

Alimjan,

I've tried the experiment that you posted, and I do see the "strange" delays
that you are talking about. However, your experiment is not significant in
the first place. In your test, you are injecting the packets with WinPcap
itself. So you have no idea if the "strange delay" is introduced by the
WinPcap transmitter or by the receiver.

Let's step back and analyze the whole issue. Correct me if any of the
following statements is wrong.

- You have your custom ethernet hardware that is used to generate packets.
- your hardware is able to generate packets at a constant rate, and you can
prove that the packets are transmitted at a constant rate with an
oscilloscope.
- when you use a WinPcap-based app (e.g. wireshark) to capture packets,
every now and then you see something weird in the timestamps. Instead of
being all equally spaced, every now and then you see a big gap of some
microseconds. For example you see 40us, 40us..., 10000us, 40us...

Here are my questions/suggestions:
- are you sure that NO packets are dropped on the receiver side?
- when you measure with the oscilloscope, are you 100% sure that you are
looking at the gap between ALL the packets?
- how are you running your tests? What I would do is the following:
  + have your hardware transmitter generate a fixed number of packets (e.g.
1 million). Put an incremental counter in every packet.
  + capture the packets with the winpcap-based app, and make sure that ALL
the packets are received. If you didn't receive 1 million packets, check the
incremental counter within each packet.
- you say that you encounter this issue on your laptop with XP/Vista/Win7.
So always the same hardware (and NIC card).
- Do you see the same exact issue with another PC running a totally
different NIC board (hint: use an intel one, they are extremely reliable in
my experience)?