[Winpcap-users] WinPCAP packets capture delay..

Black, Michael (IS) Michael.Black2 at ngc.com
Thu Sep 23 08:56:07 PDT 2010

I see delays in your 10mbit_130byte file

Doing this:\windump -n -ttt -q -r  10mbit_130byte.pcap | cut -f1 -d" " >ttt10.csv
And plotting the results shows a very spikey plot.

Varies from almost 0 to 300+ microseconds.

Average is about 150 microseconds but there are regular excursions to over 200  microseconds.

So you're already seeing delays at 10mbit -- you just never fill up the buffers.

Doing the same plot for 100mbit_130byte shows a first spike to 339us at packet 10143.
There's your "10,000 packets runs OK".

Your 100mbit_640byte first spikes at packet#6733.  Bigger packets, earlier slowdown.  Then this file shows the average packet delay jumps from 156 to 171 at packet#7142 or so.  Then you have regular excursions down to almost 0 for the remaining time and a few excursions to 300+.

The 100mbit_60byte is interesting.  50us average through packet 1371 with lots of 0-excursions.  Then the average drops to 38us with fewer excursions to 0, then jumps to a dual-mode 150/160 us delay with regular 0-excursions.

Michael D. Black
Senior Scientist
Advanced Analytics Directorate
Northrop Grumman Information Systems