[Winpcap-users] winpcap and ip change

Thorsten Stoffregen thorsten.stoffregen at gmx.de
Thu Sep 23 10:47:43 PDT 2010

Hi David,

thanks for your replay.
Yes, Profinet depends on TCP/IP but it alsp uses
special ethernet frames for real-time
communication. That makes it really fast
(about 1 millisecond cycle Time).

Let say you have a robot-arm.
TCP/IP itself is needed for configuration of the robot.

But the real action - the movement - happens on low level with
ethernet frames only, without an overlying protocol.
For this reason I use WinPcap to capture these packages.
So far it works like a charm.

But now there are ethernet-profinet packages who say:
Ok, Adapter with mac Foo has now IP Bar
(The concept is similar to DHCP).
So I need to reconfigure the Windows IP Stack and keep listening
to the Low-Level Packages. And after the IP change I don't
get the Low Level Packages with WinPcap. TCP/IP and other services
are working well.

I found the following solution:
Close and reopen the capture device with pcap:

pcap_close(pcap_t ...);
changeIp(.....);
Sleep(5000);
pcap_open(pcap_t ...);

But now I have to wait several seconds between close and open!
Without the Waiting it will not work, wait for 5 seconds
and it works. So it's a solution, but waiting for 5 seconds....
Seems not a very good solution for me.

Is there a way to explicit re-initialise the kernel driver?
Or even better, to let him do it by himself ;-)

----- Ursprüngliche Mail -----