[Winpcap-users] About the packets loss , what is the bottleneck ?

liu.yulou at zte.com.cn liu.yulou at zte.com.cn
Sun Sep 26 22:49:54 PDT 2010

GV> Not at the moment with WinPcap. Having said that, I've used this
double copy mechanism to bring several Gbps's to user mode without any
packet loss (not with WinPcap, with custom hardware. However the buffering
mechanism was the same).

YL> 'double copy mechanism'  ,  Data copy from the user buffer to
application(user mode) is the third copy ?

GV>Are you dumping the packets to disk? If so, have you measured the
dump-to-disk bandwidth?

YL> Yes,   Dumping packets to disk is my final goal.  But right now ,  To
avoid the limitation of the disk write speed ,  I just count the packets
number in the receive  thread.   But  on the  rate of 614 Mbps, sometimes
there are still packets loss.

PS.     The route of packets transfer is :  FPGA BOARD sends data through
ether net -->  PC'S  net card --> winpcap  kernel buffer --> winpcap user
buffer  -->  receive thread count .   The FPGA's sending packets rate is
about 614 Mbps ,   the size of  each packet is 1460 bytes,   every packet
has a sequence number  ,   the sending process's  starting and stopping
can be controlled  .

The app that  I make only counts the packet's number when a packet comes
without saving .   While  the  last packet comes ,  the app will compare
the number (it counts by itself)  with the sequence number (of the last
packet).  Then I will know if there is packets loss.

"Gianluca Varenni" <gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com>
发件人:  winpcap-users-bounces at winpcap.org
2010-09-21 07:41
请答复 给
winpcap-users at winpcap.org

收件人
<winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
抄送

主题
Re: [Winpcap-users] About the packets loss ,    what is the bottleneck ?