[Winpcap-users] About the packets loss , what is the bottleneck ?

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 28 09:30:21 PDT 2010

On Sep 28, 2010, at 4:22 AM, Helmut Vaupotitsch wrote:

> 1) According to Section 5.3 and Figures 6,9 in http://www.winpcap.org/docs/WinPcap-SBAC03.pdf (small packets),
> timestamp optimization is switched off in the standard distribution, which costs *a lot* of cpu processing.

According to section 5.3, "This high performance counter is incremented at every processor clock cycle, so its precision is equivalent to the CPU frequency"; as far as I know, on a lot of machines there is no guarantee that the CPU frequency is a constant, at least with some operating systems, so it might be Really Hard to turn the TSC value into a reasonable time stamp on those machines.