[Winpcap-users] Efficient sending huge number of UDP packets at afixed specified rate

Fri Apr 8 06:11:18 PDT 2011

If you want to send them precisely evenly spaced, then you have to do what your pseudo code suggests and suffer the consequences.  You may find that achieving fine grained delay and high packets rates could be hard.

Meanwhile, if you realize that there will be buffering in various places no matter what you do, you might get the same results with much lower overhead by sending a series of short bursts of n packets and delay between the bursts:

While (true) {

Pcap_sendqueue_transmit (npackets);

Delay (…);

}

When n is 2 or greater the kernel transitions will be reduced accordingly. The right choice for n will likely depend on link speed, packet size, and receive buffer capacity of the where you are sending to.