[Winpcap-users] how to find active ports

Tue Jul 12 20:00:52 PDT 2011

Hi there Rajath,

Winpcap doesn't contain a single API which provides the specific answer you are looking for.

However, you could determine the answer you are looking for with a little coding on your part.  The following steps will achieve the desired result:
1)	Use pcap_findalldevs to enumerate the set of 'ports' as you say.
2)	For each enumerated port, use pcap_openlive to open a promiscuous mode pcap handle to the port.
3)	For each enumerated port, Craft a packet which says "Sending on Port #N" and use any source MAC address (without Bi1#1 set (i.e. the Broadcast/multicast bit sent), use a destination MAC address of FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF.  Send the packet on the pcap handle using pcap_sendpacket.   Read arriving packets on each of the pcap handles looking for the crafted packet.  Each time you find a packet you sent, you've found a 'loopbacked' port (the loopbacks here could also indicate multiple ports connected to the same switch, which is equivalent to a set of ports connected with a crossover cable).

Good Luck.

-	Mark Pizzolato