[Winpcap-users] Fw: how can i get aipcap USB adapter

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 14 10:46:29 PDT 2011

On Jul 14, 2011, at 7:41 AM, suad alasady wrote:

>   i would like to capture ieee 802.11 data frame, please i have questions please
> 1- can i do it by using my adapter (Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54Mbps USB 2.0 Network Adapter) or not?

You probably could *IF* you run Linux or one of the *BSDs.

If you don't want to erase Windows and run Linux or one of the *BSDs instead, you might be able to use VirtualBox:

	http://www.virtualbox.org/

or Parallels Desktop for Windows:

	http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/pd4wl/

or VMware Workstation:

	http://www.vmware.com/products/workstation/overview.html

to run Linux or one of the *BSDs in a virtual machine, if the virtual machine software will let you attach USB devices to the virtual machine (I have a Mac, and VMware Fusion lets me attach a USB 802.11 device to virtual machines, which is how I tested changes to libpcap to support monitor mode on Linux and *BSD).

> and if the answer is not how can i get aipcap?

From the "Purchase Now" link on

	http://www.cacetech.com/products/airpcap.html

> note:- i'm from Iraq, hilla , university of Babylon?

VirtualBox, and many Linux distributions and *BSDs, are available for a free download; you should be able to download them from Iraq.

Parallels Desktop is $79.99 US, which, according to a currency-conversion site I found, is 93500 dinars.

VMware Workstation is $189.00 US, which is 221000 dinars.  They offer student discounts from the VMware Academic store:

	http://www.vmware.com/vmwarestore/academicstore.html

I don't see anything that says that only US academic institutions qualify.

The least-expensive AirPcap adapter costs $198 US, which is 231500 dinars.