[Winpcap-users] Followup question on Old Post

Gianluca Varenni Gianluca.Varenni at riverbed.com
Wed Mar 23 17:53:24 PDT 2011

1)      I wouldn't expect any performance hit. I have code similar to that that handles millions of packets per second. A call to pcap_next_ex does not correspond to a transition user-kernel. Packets are received in user space in big buffers, so you might well have 1 syscall every hundreds (if not more) packets.

2)      No.

3)      The assumption is correctly. At those rates I would not expect any drop if you are using a decent NIC and you are fast enough at processing the packets.

4)      It's definitely a supported configuration. The driver would use a different buffer per thread (and the buffer will contain only the filtered packets).