[Winpcap-users] Followup question on Old Post

Gianluca Varenni Gianluca.Varenni at riverbed.com
Thu Mar 24 22:39:22 PDT 2011

I didn't say that I handle million packets per second. I said that I handle millions of packets with a mechanism similar to WinPcap (i.e. receiving one packet at a time with a call similar to pcap_next_ex).
Consider that at those rates, sometimes the limitation is not just WinPcap, it's the NIC and NIC driver, that are sometimes not optimized to properly handle small packets. In general the idea of using multiple threads and capture instances, each of them capturing a subset of the traffic, is a winning one, as long as you are able to split the traffic evenly among threads.