[Winpcap-users] Running WinPCap on a virtual PC

Jens Munk j.munk at maccor.com
Wed Nov 2 15:08:02 PDT 2011

Hey,

I am trying to run my application, that is using WinPCap to send and
receive raw ethernet messages, on a virtual WinXP. The messages get send
OK, but the incoming messages never get to the virtual WinXP and thus my
application. This is confirmed by WireShark. Likewise running WireShark
on the host shows that the incoming messages are present there.

So how do I get this to work, i.e. get incoming raw messages all the way
back to the virtual machine?

Some info on my setup: The PC has two adapters: One for the company and
internet and one for this purpose (I am communicating with the
micro-controllers). The first adapter is set as "Shared networking
(NAT)" and works fine on the internet. The other one and the one I want
to use for this is set as its name.

Thanks,

Jens.