[Winpcap-users] Sending efficiency

Fish" (David B. Trout fish at infidels.org
Mon Jan 2 10:47:34 PST 2012

Garan Jenkin wrote:

> Hello
>
> My application receives frames on some interfaces, but equally
> has interfaces that only send out frames.
>
> I can happily open these send interfaces and send frames, but
> how can I ensure that no effort is being expended capturing frames
> on this open interface (as my program will never inspect them)?
>
> Can I set a flag to drop all incoming traffic on the interface?

I don't know.

Perhaps one of the developers will answer?

If you only send frames on your 'send-only' interfaces on occasion, perhaps
you can keep the interface closed and only open them when needed? That is,
open, send, close. (i.e. don't keep them open). I doubt there would be much
chance for a packet to come in during that split second you send a packet.
That would be one way to minimize the issue.

Another might be to set a capture filter for that interface that you know
will always be false. Or maybe set the capture length to zero? <shrug>

Bottom line: I can't answer your question because I don't know. Someone else
or one of the developers is going to have to answer.

Hope that helps SOME.

--
"Fish" (David B. Trout)
 fish at softdevlabs.com