[Winpcap-users] crashing windows 7 with winpcap 4.1.2, any pointers on narrowing down the culprit?

Sam Roberts vieuxtech at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 16:00:56 PDT 2012

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to isolate the fault to
some component of the system?

I am porting some ethernet frame generation code from Linux to windows
(first code I've compiled on windows in a dozen years).

I have windows 7 inside a vmware workstation 9 on ubuntu 12.04.

I'm generating packets using libnet (local copy which I've just
re-ported to windows - I'm the reluctant maintainer of libnet I'll
rerelease once this is working), which is using WinPcap 4.1.2 for
packet generation.

Every time I run one of our tools, windows crashes:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

later...

E1G60I32.sys - Address... (see attached)

I'm going to spend more time narrowing down what we do (basically
running smaller and smaller sets of tests until/if it stops crashing),
but
Specifically, to identify whether it's WinPcap's NPF driver that is faulting?

Thanks,
Sam