[Winpcap-users] Windows 8

Gianluca Varenni Gianluca.Varenni at riverbed.com
Fri Feb 22 08:59:41 PST 2013

I experimented a bit with the NOCAPTURE_LOCAL flag, I can confirm that it doesn't work properly on Win8, and as of now there is no workaround. The issue is rooted in the fact the WinPcap driver uses a very old driver technology (NDIS5), which means that on Win8 there are a number of shim layers to transforms the notifications of the Win8 NDIS stack into the NDIS5 format (and viceversa), and it looks like the "noloopback" flag when sending packets is simply ignored. There are some workarounds that I can try to make it work, but so far I've been quite unsuccessful. My current plan is leave it as a known bug, with two possible approaches:

1.       No code changes. The PCAP_OPENFLAGS_NOCAPTURE_LOCAL is ignored, and you will still receive loopback'd packets

2.       Fail the pcap_open request on win8 if the PCAP_OPENFLAGS_NOCAPTURE_LOCAL flag is set. This can potentially break applications that are using this flag even if they don't need to.