[Winpcap-users] Windows 8

Gianluca Varenni Gianluca.Varenni at riverbed.com
Wed Jan 30 14:12:24 PST 2013

Chris,

I've been thinking about it, but it's a major effort (read it as "rewrite a good chunk of the kernel capture driver"). WHQL certification has not that important so far (we don't certify the driver, we just sign it), we install the driver in such a way that doesn't require WHQL certification.

Regarding XP, there is still a big community using it in corporate and non-corporate environments, so dropping support for it is definitely not an option.

The advantages of migrating to NDIS6 would be
- probably better performance (but it's not guaranteed) and in general avoiding to go thru the thunking layer between NDIS5 (what we currently use) and NDIS6
- support for RT (although I'm not sure if just supporting NDIS6 would be enough)
- cleanup of the driver sources