[Winpcap-users] Help with the WinPCap error handling

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jul 23 02:54:55 PDT 2013

On Jul 23, 2013, at 2:32 AM, "Sebastian Klein" <Klein_Sebastian at gmx.de> wrote:

> By this I have to create my own "read" routine which will be set in the pcap_create() routine by comparing the adapter flags?

No, by checking the adapter *name*; types of devices are identified by the device name, not by flags.

And what you'd set in the pcap_create() routine would be the activate_op.  You'd set that to point to the routine that actually opens the device; that routine would, in turn, set the other _op pointers.

> Then where should I upload my new code when its done?

You *could* submit it to tcpdump.org for inclusion in libpcap, but when that ended up in WinPcap is another matter.

> Is the documentation of the "intern code"  done with doxygen too or just the "api code"?

I'm not one of the WinPcap core developers, so I don't know how they maintain that.  (I'm a *libpcap* core developer, but my only contributions to WinPcap come from WinPcap being based on libpcap.)

> And will you review the new code?

If I have the time to do so, I could.