[Winpcap-users] Winpcap and NIC chipsets

Fulvio Risso fulvio.risso at polito.it
Tue Jun 11 01:30:56 PDT 2013

Dear Stefano,
the behaviour you're observing is well-known. Sometimes it depends on
the chipset, some other times it depends on the quality of the NIC drivers.
In either case, there's nothing you can do to bypass those issues in
WinPcap.
The best solution is to replace the NIC.
Another possible solution is to use some accelerated NIC driver in order
to bypass the Operating system, hence decreasing the overhead. However,
again, those are usually able to operate only on a few NICs, and usually
those are high quality NICs.
I'm not aware of those (free) drivers in Windows; probably something
exist that does not come for free.
In Linux/FreeBSD you can use netmap, or pf_ring/DNA (linux only).

	fulvio