[Winpcap-users] winpcap capture speed

Black, Michael (IS) Michael.Black2 at ngc.com
Thu Jun 27 08:10:45 PDT 2013

OK..you realize that UDP is frequently called "Unreliable Data Protocol".

You will get collisions on the network and the packets will get lost unless you implement your own ack/nak method.  The faster you send the more likely it is.

Lot's of D-Link gigabit switches...many of which are hardly high-speed devices so it could cause some problems too.

I would first test a network crossover cable and see if the D-Link is your problem.

Better yet is to use TCP but you really need a capture port on the switch do a fair comparison.

I tested IPerf on my home network (I work from home).
http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Iperf-Download-78352.html

Server:
iperf -s -u
Client:
iperf -c server -l 9000 -u 100M

I lost one packet at 100Mbit
At 150Mbit I lost 4 packets.

I'm running through an ASUS wireless router.

If I run in tcp mode I get 558Mbits/sec

You just can't push UDP very fast without losing packets.  Collision probability is directly related to bandwidth utilization.

Michael D. Black
Senior Scientist
Analytics, Production and Services
Advanced GEOINT Systems