[Winpcap-users] npf breaks Vista's network stack and causes BSOD on shutdown

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Thu Aug 7 15:35:25 UTC 2014

As I can see from its archives, winpcap-bugs is effectively offline;
so posting this here.

Vista x32 Business. Shortly after a capture session (npf is started on demand), all
network connectivity is lost (ping reports "Not enough resources") and on a
restart attempt, a BSOD is thrown with DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE code.

Apparently, npf breaks the network stack while trying to hook into it
due to some specific driver versions I have installed that it doesn't know of.

I can upload/send a crash dump and/or relevant driver files if needed.

--
Best regards,
 Ivan                          mailto:vano at mail.mipt.ru