[Winpcap-users] Windows Server 2012 NIC Teaming and WinPcap compatibility

J carpe7 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 19 14:36:40 UTC 2014

Hi,

We plan to use WinPcap to send and receive through network interfaces created in Windows Server 2012 through the teaming feature:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831648.aspx

The teaming solution, among other things, allows us to use a single physical NIC and a single physical medium to send to and receive from several VLANs (Windows marks the datagrams as belonging to a specific VLAN and the switch port is configured in trunk mode).

In Windows's Network Connections panel, we see the physical interfaces plus the virtual ones. The virtual ones have names that start with "Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver". We thought each virtual interface would have its own ID that we would be able to use in pcap_open to refer to that interface.

The problem we are facing now is that Wireshark does not offer those interfaces for capturing, so we are wondering if we will be able to capture from them and send traffic through them separately in a program that uses WinPcap (the main networking ingredient in Wireshark).

May it be that WinPcap is placed below (in the sense of "nearer the physical NIC") Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Driver (NdisImPlatform.sys) in the stack of network drivers?

We used to use HP Teaming software to build our teams in Windows Server 2008 and earlier, but we never tested creating VLAN multiplexed scenarios. Wireshark offers HP teamed interfaces separately from the physical ones, so we assumed that with Windows Server 2012 teaming the situation would be similar.

My questions are:
1. Is WinPcap 4.1.3 compatible with VLAN multiplexed interfaces through Windows Server 2012 teaming?
2. Is using HP teaming software a compatible alternative?
3. If the answer is "no" to the previous questions, is there any way to multiplex the traffic to several VLANs in a single "trunk mode" switch port with WinPcap? I mean, is it possible to set the VLANID of a datagram in the Ethernet header or anywhere else and use the physical NIC directly in WinPcap?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
J.M.