[Winpcap-users] Service crash after update to WinPcap networking

J. M. carpe7 at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 28 10:07:37 UTC 2014

Hi,

We have updated the raw socket networking subsystem of a Windows service to WinPcap, with the following architecture:
-- One thread continuously captures on its own pcap_t calling pcap_next_ex.
-- Several threads send packets concurrently over the same interface, but each one with it own private pcap_t obtained from pcap_open. These threads call pcap_sendpacket.

Since the update, the service crashes intermittently, although only one of the two servers in a redundant cluster exhibit the problem.
We are logging the errors produced by WinPcap. For that, after pcap_sendpacket returning a negative result we call pcap_geterr.

Just before the crash, the service logs (pcap_geterr result):

send error: PacketSendPacket failed

In EventViewer, this is the detail of the crash:

Faulting application name: ...
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.17725, time stamp: 0x4ec4aa8e
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000c40f2
Faulting process id: 0x1d64
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf4a53bf7cfe86
Faulting application path: ...
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 0e886882-b656-11e3-b6bb-e4115be757a8

The OS is Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bits.
The WinPcap version is 4.1.3.

The question is: has someone observed this problem?

Thank you very much.

Regards,
J.M.