[Winpcap-users] Problem gathering bytes statistics on Ethernet devices

Boaz Brickner boaz.brickner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 08:41:46 UTC 2015

Hi,

This is a followup of a discussion from July 2009.
http://www.winpcap.org/pipermail/winpcap-users/2009-July/003306.html
(Sorry for the impressive late reply.)

It seems that the AcceptedBytes statistics by Wireshark takes into account
an extra 12 bytes per packet.

When I send 100 packets of 100 bytes each, using the statistics mode,
WinPcap reports on 100 packets but 100*112 accepted bytes instead of
100*100 accepted bytes.
I'm now using Windows 7 64 bit for that, WinPcap 4.1.3.

When I use Wireshark 1.12.3 to capture these packets, they are all 100
bytes packets, so I'm pretty sure the packets are ok and its just how
WinPcap's count them.

Are these 12 bytes simply the inter-packet gap?
Am I doing something wrong?
Can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Boaz.