[Winpcap-users] CPU Increase in WinPCAP capturing thread

Ramandeep Sandhu rsandhu at interrasystems.com
Wed Jan 21 15:17:48 UTC 2015

Hello WinPCAP Experts,

We are using WinPCAP 4.1.3 on Windows 7 machine to capture UDP multicast
data 24x7. During long runs we have observed that the /pcap_loop thread/
that captures the data, starts consuming more CPU cycles, for example,
if initially its consuming 1%, may be over night it would start
consuming 3-4%. This behavior is random - at times everything works fine
even for a couple of days.

This state remains even if we restart our application i.e even after a
restart the /pcap_loop thread/ consumes 3-4%. This is rectified only
after we restart the machine. Is anyone aware of such behavior ? Are we
missing out some OS level settings that need to be done ?

--
Thanks & Regards

Ramandeep Sandhu
Digital Media Group, Interra Systems.